Only employees who are certified are allowed to operate University PITs!
1. What is a Powered Industrial Truck (PIT)?
- A Powered Industrial Truck (PIT) is any piece of equipment that is powered by electricity, battery, propane, etc. At UVA these would include but are not limited to forklifts, reaches, pickers, and battery/electric powered pallet jacks. Manual pallet jacks are not considered to be PITs.
2. Who can I contact for help?
- Environmental Health & Safety at 434-982-4911 or;
- Your department’s designated "Train the Trainer" (TtT).
3. What is a Train the Trainer (TtT)?
- The designated department trainer has the knowledge, classroom training certification and experience to train others on how to safely operate the department’s powered industrial truck(s).
4. Does UVA have a PIT Policy?
5. Why can’t just anyone who works for UVA operate a PIT?
- OSHA has mandated that anyone who operates a PIT must be trained and certified. Employees must be certified on the particular piece of equipment that they will operate while completing their duties here at UVA.
- The department designated Forklift "Train the Trainer"- (TtT) will perform the required initial certification and re-certification. OSHA requires recertification every (3) years for proficient operators. The Operator’s supervisor or designated "TtT", may determine a more frequent schedule is desirable if the individual is an infrequent operator.
6. How do I become certified to operate a PIT?
- Environmental Health & Safety can provide information to the department designated "Train the Trainer" (TtT) on classes available through the state’s Department of Human Resource management (DHRM)-Workers Compensation. The full day "TtT" classes are provided in person in Richmond, VA as well as by webinar. EHS can provide classroom training materials to the "TtT" to train new department operators. In addition to classroom training, the new operator will need to successfully complete a "hands-on" training with the "TtT" on the forklift he or she will be assigned to operate.
7. I have already taken a certification class a few years ago; that certification is good forever, right?
- No. All PIT operators must first complete a certification class with the department’s designated Train the Trainer and successfully pass recertification forklift hands-on training every (3) years or more frequently, if determined by the "TtT" or supervisor.
8. Currently I am not a certified PIT operator but I would like to become certified. Can just anyone enroll in the certification class?
- This will depend upon your particular job responsibilities. Check with your immediate supervisor to see if she/he feels you should become a certified operator. Remind your supervisor that you must be certified even if you only use a PIT on an occasional basis.
9. I have been operating a PIT for years. Why is UVA now mandating I take a certification class?
- OSHA mandates PIT certification. Accidents involving PITs are responsible for multiple deaths and numerous injuries each year. Our program is designed to ensure all operators are properly trained and certified while always exercising safety when operating a PIT.