EHS provides OSHA-required Class IV 2-hr Asbestos Awareness Training, in accordance to 29 CFR 1926.1101. This training is available to all UVA personnel as well as contract service employees who work in UVA buildings.
In addition to the 2-hr Asbestos Awareness training, UVA employees who are responsible for repairs or maintenance to ACM, must attend an additional 16-hr Class III Asbestos Operations and Maintenance course prior to disturbing ACM.
- Class IV Asbestos Awareness (2 Hours)
- Required training for all Facilities Management tradespersons, University housekeepers and custodial employees who are assigned to duties in buildings that contain asbestos. Training must be completed in the first year of employment. Attendees will receive information regarding the various uses of asbestos, information on the health effects of asbestos exposure, how to recognize and report damaged asbestos, a brief regulatory overview, and a review of the University's asbestos management policy. This Class IV training takes 2 hours and does not qualify the attendee to handle or disturb asbestos.
No online module, in-person training only. Contact EHS at 434.982.4911 to schedule.
- Class IV Asbestos Awareness Refresher
- Available online (log-in)
- Required annual refresher training for employees who have completed the initial 2-Hour Class IV Asbestos Awareness training. Participants will receive a brief overview of all components of the "Class IV Asbestos Awareness (2 Hours)" training.