Computer User Heaven: 8 Exercises That Spell Relief
The following exercises will help you relieve "VDT" stress and strain. Give one or all of them a try if you find your mind or body fatiguing.
- Deep Breathing - Breathe in slowly through your nose. Hold for 2 seconds, then exhale through your mouth. Repeat several times.
- Head & Neck Relief - Turn your head slowly from one side to the other, and look over each shoulder. Hold each turn for the count of three. Repeat 5 to 10 times.
- Shoulder Roll - Roll your shoulders forward 5 times using a wide circular motion. Then roll your shoulders backward. Repeat 5 to 10 times.
- Upper Back Stretch - Fold arms in front of you. Raise to shoulder height, then push your elbows straight back. Hold a few seconds. You should feel a nice stretch in your shoulder blades. Repeat 5 to 10 times.
- Lower Back Heaven - While sitting, slowly bend your upper body between your knees. Hold for a few seconds, then sit up and relax.
- Wrist Relief - Hold your arms straight out in front of your body. Raise and lower your hands- bending at the wrist, to stretch the muscles in your forearm. Repeat several times.
- Hand and Finger Help - Make a tight fist with your hands. Hold for a second. Then spread your fingers as far apart as you can. Hold for five seconds. Repeat.
- Leg Lifts - While sitting in a chair, grasp the shin of one leg and pull slowly toward your chest. Hold for five seconds. Then do the other leg. Repeat several times.
Reference: Body Bulletin (November 1992) Library of Congress