Click Here to view your training records Log-in
Bloodborne Pathogen and Biosafety Training for Research Personnel Log-in is required before initiating work with any BSL-2 biological materials registered with the IBC. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Microorganisms (BSL-2 or BSL-3)
- Human blood, blood components, fluids, unfixed organs, tissues and cell lines (primary and established)
- Non-Human Primate Derived Materials (including established cell lines)
- Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecule activities described by NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules
- Select Agents as defined by CDC (42 CFR 73) or USDA (9 CFR 121)
Either Bloodborne Pathogen and Biosafety Training for Research Personnel Log-in OR Biosafety Level 1 Training Log-in is required before initiating work with any BSL-1 biological materials registered with the IBC. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Microorganisms (BSL-1)
- Any single experiment using BSL-1 agents to produce quantities of 10 Liters or more of culture at any one time
- Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecule activities contained at BSL-1 as described by NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules
Biotoxin Introductory Training Log-in is required before initiating work with any biological toxins (with an LD50 of less than 100 micrograms per kilogram of body weight in vertebrates) requiring BSL-2 containment.
Human Gene Transfer Introduction Training Log-in is required for persons who may be potentially exposed to the Human Gene Transfer product during the experiment.
Biosafety Level 2 - Laboratory Training Requirements
All personnel must receive training on Biosafety Level 2 (BSL-2) laboratory practices prior to working in a BSL-2 laboratory. Principal Investigators (PIs) are responsible for adhering to the following:
- The PI or supervisor must explain the nature of the risks associated with the agent(s) that are used in the lab, the possible routes of exposures, demonstrate the special handling, personal protective equipment (PPE), and decontamination practices that are used in the lab.
- All personnel must:
- Personnel who may be exposed to Human Derived Materials must complete annual update training for bloodborne pathogens. Automated email reminders are distributed to affected individuals approximately one month prior to training expiration.
- Visitors and temporary personnel (i.e. 3 months or less) must also complete the online training course Bloodborne Pathogens and Biosafety Training for Research Personnel Log-in. In general, temporary personnel do not need to be added to the IBC registration document; however, temporary personnel who will conduct BSL-2 experiments involving animals must be added to the IBC registration.
Note: Completing the above steps does not entitle personnel to work with BSL-2 agents. It is the PI or supervisor’s responsibility to assess an individual’s readiness to work with BSL-2 agents, and also to directly demonstrate and train new personnel in the specific techniques and practices that are used in their lab.
All Available Biosafety Training
Training may be required depending upon an individual's duties, job specifications, and potential exposure.
- Log-in Autoclaving Safely Training
- Log-in Biosafety Level 1 Training
- Log-in Biotoxin Introductory Training
- Log-in Bloodborne Pathogen and Biosafety Training for Research Personnel
- Log-in Bloodborne Pathogens Annual Update Training for Research Personnel
- Log-in Bloodborne Pathogens Annual Training for Athletics/Recreational Sports staff
- Log-in Bloodborne Pathogens Annual Training for Emergency Responders
- Log-in Bloodborne Pathogens Annual Training for Housing and Housekeeping staff
- Log-in Bloodborne Pathogens Annual Training for Veterinary and Animal Care (Vivarium) staff
- Log-in Human Gene Transfer Introduction Training New!
- Log-in Select Agent Annual Refresher Training
- Log-in Shipping Infectious Substances Training (IATA/DOT) (training is valid for 2 years)
- Log-in Suitability Assessment Training
Required training for personnel with access to Tier 1 select agents and toxins on entity policies and procedures for reporting, evaluation, and corrective actions concerning the assessment of personnel suitability. Completion of this module is a requirement for BSL-3 Facility access.
- Log-in Vaccinia Virus Training for Research Personnel
Specific BSL-3 Laboratory Training and other customized training sessions
- Contact EHS Biosafety to arrange/schedule specifically for your department or laboratory group
- BSL-3 Facility Orientation Training
- BSL-3 PAPR Training
- BSL-3 Select Agent Introductory and Awareness Training
Animal Handler Training done in partnership with the Center for Comaprative Medicine and Office of Animal Welfare
- UVA - Working Safely With Animals/Animal Orientation
- UVA - Animal Facility Rules and Procedures
- UVA - Animal Biosafety Level 2 Procedures
- UVA - Animal Biosafety Level 3 Procedures