UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA
FINANCIAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURES MANUAL
TITLE: FIREWORKS DISPLAY PERMITTING AND CONDUCTING PROCEDURE
DEFINITIONS APPLICABLE TO THIS PROCEDURE
A device consisting of a combination of explosives and combustibles, set off to generate colored lights, smoke, and noise for amusement(1).
The purpose of this procedure is to provide the means by which fireworks can safely be used at the University of Virginia (UVA). The procedure outlines the steps that must be completed before a fireworks display can be discharged. Advance approval is required for all fireworks displays.
The department or organization desiring the fireworks display must apply for a permit at least 15 days before the event is to occur. The UVA Office of Environmental Health and Safety (OEHS) is the UVA agent responsible for the issuance of a fireworks display permit. The request for the permit can made in person at OEHS, by phone 982-4911, or by email (email@example.com).
- A Fire Safety Officer will conduct a site inspection to determine the adequacy of the display site.
- A bond or insurance in the amount deemed sufficient by the UVA Department of Risk Management is to be posted. Copies of certificates must be filed with OEHS.
- Arrangements are to be made through the fire safety officer to have a stand by fire engine on-site.
- The fireworks display must be under the supervision of a trained technician.
- Arrangements must be made to have University Police present for crowd control.
- Physical barriers are to be erected so as to not to permit any spectator or unauthorized persons within the discharge area during unloading preparation or discharge of fireworks.
- Fireworks shall not be discharged if wind conditions read a velocity of more 20 mph or if conditions are deemed unsafe due to dry weather conditions.
- (1) The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition copyright (c) 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from INSO Corporation; further reproduction and distribution restricted in accordance with the Copyright Law of the United States. All rights reserved.
ISSUED BY: Director, Office of Environmental Health & Safety